Saturday, July 18, 2009

All Things Must Pass...

How strange to find myself watching The Fog of War this afternoon. I had put it on my list ages ago, forgot about it, and sadly remembered it with the passing of Robert McNamara earlier this month. Then, after reminiscing about Apollo 11 yesterday, I hear of the death of Walter Cronkite. All of these people and events, Apollo, Cronkite, McNamara, Viet Nam, JFK, LBJ, RFK, are all so indelibly intertwined in my childhood and teenage memories.

Watching the images of all those years passing by in The Fog of War I felt so sad about all that has been taken from us as Americans. McNamara talks of the withholding of information, and the actual recordings of JFK and LBJ confirming this are stunning. After McNamara leaves, who comes to power in the Nixon era? Cheney and Rumsfeld. No matter the Clinton years, we were doomed. For all of our ability to type words in blogs, one wonders if everything of importance has been lost. Thomas Jefferson, where are you when we need you?

No comments:

Post a Comment