Friday, June 26, 2009

Some Crap about Writing

The prompt from the writing institute: Think of an extended metaphor that you might choose to describe your writing process. Is it a marathon? Deep sea diving? Archeology? A biological phenomenon? Feel free to stretch out into wherever the metaphor takes you...

My response:

This morning I was walking across the high school field barefoot in the cool grass and feeling the cool wind blowing across me and I was thinking about the flow, the flow of wind, the flow of water, the water you want to linger in forever, becoming water, and the water that shocks you, the water that takes your breath away, sending you rocketing to the surface, sharing its cold with everyone around you. So I write. It is flow, fluid rolling away from my fingers even as I write these words. Sometimes it eddies, sometimes to comes to little dams requiring a bit of explosive deconstruction, sometimes it boils like rapids on the Trinity River, often it is tranquil and I float along with its gentle current swimming in a sea of words and unlimited possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment